Summary of Role
We develop technologies at the intersection of wearable devices, precision medicine, and life-saving therapeutics. Our first product concept — funded by Google Ventures and Third Rock Ventures — aims to redefine treatment for sudden cardiac death. Come join our growing team of engineers, successful entrepreneurs, and medical device professionals if you are interested making a real difference in patients’ lives and shaping the future of med tech in Silicon Valley.
We are looking for a Director of Software Development to build, guide, and technically lead our software engineering team. You will lead a team creating data systems from the ground up – delivering alerts and therapy reports within minutes of cardiac arrest, helping patients to live longer and healthier by managing acute and chronic heart conditions, and enabling data scientists to find new solutions to heart diseases.
The ideal candidate has a background in building and launching enterprise software applications in either product-launching startups or commercial settings and thrives in an environment with unknowns and meaningful problems to solve.
- Drive architecture. design and launch of scalable, HIPAA compliant systems for data from medical wearable devices, mobile applications, and web tools. Manage all phases of the software life cycle, including design, requirements, development, implementation and testing.
- Maintain and create development, QA, staging, and production environments while developing deployment processes and monitoring to ensure high reliability production systems.
- Lead and build a qualified team of engineers that can help in all phases of software development for multiple projects.
- Set goals, provide technical mentorship and coaching, and foster professional growth within the team.
- Provide intellectual input and guidance on design, prototyping, and testing activities.
- Establish data quality standards and works with senior management team and/or external stakeholders to ensure standards are met.
- Collaborate with staff to evaluate current systems to improve operations and reporting, determine short-term and long-term goals and appropriate resources for projects.
- Provides, reviews and functionally approves standard medical device software documentation deliverables for US FDA regulatory or quality system documentation.
- 10+ years of relevant engineering experience in industry with 5+ years of experience leading software development projects with a distinguished track record on technically demanding projects
- Experience in Architecting large scale/complex systems. Strong knowledge of Java/Python required.
- Experience in implementing cloud solutions with AWS. Strong knowledge of AWS ecosystem is a must for this role.
- Extensive knowledge and experience using NOSQL, REST APIs, queues, caches, containers, distributed systems
- Demonstrated technologist with broad experience across a variety of operations and services including DevOps, Pipeline Construction, Release automation and deployment (Ex: Jenkins, BitBucket, CloudFormation, Serverless)
- Practiced Agile Development and knowledge of Tools such as Confluence/JIRA
- Mobile Application development is a plus
- Knowledge of professional software engineering best practices including coding standards, code reviews, SCM, CI, build processes, testing, and operations
- Strong interpersonal, collaboration, and communication skills, people-oriented, professionally aggressive, with a strong work ethic
- Proven ability Integrate both systems engineering and test engineering following engineering best practices, in coordination with software quality and security team
- Experience in software security, cyber security, and/or security testing
- Experience in digital health, Health IT, or mobile medical applications